It happened, that part of my job is to interview a lot of newcomers who are seeking opportunities at IBM Brno, CZ. When I was just starting with this activity, I was trying to search internet what questions were usually asked when interviewing VMware vSphere guys, what a common was etc. Unfortunately, although I found some articles, none of those were much of help as those were mostly written from the HR perspective. What I needed were technical questions, something understand if the person was technically ready, but at the same time I needed some questions to understand if the person was even motivated to work with VMware products.
Thanks goodness, I am working in a team of great professionals, so I asked for help. With my team we compiled a list of questions and scenarios which would help us to identify knowledge level of the candidate, both theoretical and practical, plus, it gave us an opportunity to see if the candidate was motivated to learn.
I am going to write series of articles, one for each level of competency and some questions I ask for general awareness. I will include questions and scenarios but not answers to those.
I hope this information will be helpful for those who will be interviewing people and, why not, may be for those who will be preparing for an interview.
Note: The approach describes in this series of articles does not (at least intentionally) follow any HR framework. Please check if it is applicable in your company before using it.
So, here is how I see this.
- Part 1: General IT awareness and interest in the technology.
- Part 2: Junior engineer questions. Theoretical and practical.
- Part 3: Level 2 engineer questions. Theoretical and practical.
- Part 4: Level 3/advanced engineer questions. Theoretical and practical.
- Part 5: Generic questions to probe business attitude
So here we go guys. Let me know if this topic is even interesting for the community. Depending on the feedback, I will do my best to bring the articles ASAP.
UPDATE: Part 5 renamed to “Generic questions to probe business attitude”
Latest posts by Aram Avetisyan (see all)
- Creating a Customizable Linux OVF Template - June 23, 2017
- Configure Proxy settings for VSAN Health-Check Plugin(CLI) - August 11, 2016
- Replacing driver for MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i on ESXi 6 - July 12, 2016