Yesterday (4/6/2015) was released the next ‘minor’ update for Horizon 6 – Horizon 6.1.1. In addition of the new features in View 6.1 which I wrote about, now we can find few more, in my opinion significant.
Here is the list with the newly added features:
- Client Drive Redirection – Finally we can share local a folder or drive with you virtual desktop. Even in some use cases it could be considered as a low security, this feature could be enabled/disabled by the administrator via a group policy.
- Horizon 6 for Linux Desktops – with a linux agent now we can officially provide a linux based virtual desktops. There are few limitations of the features and OS support, that’s why it is better to check the compatibility matrix before start planning.
- Serial Port Redirection – for normal office use you will not get any benefit of this new feature, but if you provide virtual desktops for hypermarkets, manufacturing, delivery and etc. you may want to redirect your bar code reader or special printer. I am really glad to see this in the supported list.
- Support for Windows Media Multimedia Redirection (MMR) for RDS Desktops – MMR was supported only on a virtual desktop and to redirect the multimedia processing on the local device was not possible with RDS desktops, until now.
- HTML Access Support for Hosted Apps – this is something which I will test and make a separate article for. I really wonder how good it perform and finally officially we can have our apps via HTML and a browser.
Upgrading to Horizon 6.1.1 you must have the following underlying infrastructure:
- vSphere 6
- vSphere 5.5 Update 1a with Express Patch 4 or later
- vSphere 5.1 Update 2 with Express Patch 5 or later
A number of bugs and problems were also fix in this release. A complete list of all new features and fixes you can find here.
Latest posts by Nikolay Nikolov (see all)
- Build a vRealize Orchestrator 7 (vRO) Cluster - February 13, 2017
- VMware vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 – Install and Configure - November 16, 2016
- Nutanix Upgrade fails at 93% - August 18, 2016