IBM, HP, DELL are releasing its own customized “embedded” versions of ESXi which contain vendor specific drivers, opened firewall ports for their management solutions, etc.
Patches are different for each ESXi version 5.0, 5.1, 5.5. I will show you how to download and implement those patches for IBM x3850 X5, for HP and Dell see the links bellow the article.
- Download is always from vendor websites, download links offer all versions of ESXi.
- I did download the patch for vSphere ESXi 5.5
- Start your vSphere client and connect to your vCenter server go to the Update Manager, navigate to Patch Repository, select Import Patches, select Browse & chose the file you downloaded and click Next and Finish.
- Now navigate to Baselines and Groups click Create, type your name select Host Extension and Next.
- Select your patch (in very bottom of the list) and click “arrow“ to add patch to baseline then Next and Finish.
- Now you need to switch to Host and Clusters click on top level vCenter or anywhere else you wish to Attach baseline and navigate to Update Manager click on Attach, select your baseline and click Attach.
- Now you can see status of this patch in Update Manager, patch can be installed using Remediate button.